In 1871, Kinning Park was part of Renfrewshire and in that year formed into a Police Burgh. The population at that time was 6,634. Renfrewshire still continued to police the district until 1891, when the Boundaries Commission, appointed by the Government, recommended that the Burgh be transferred to the County of Lanark. The then Kinning Park Commission Board took up the question of the policing of the District, and formed a Police Force of their own on 15 August 1892. By a special clause in the Burgh Police (Scotland) Act, 1892, Captain Harding, the Chief Constable of both Renfrewshire and Buteshire, was continued as Chief Constable of the new force. The uniform and insignia was based on that of Renfrewshire Constabulary and the Prince of Wales' feathers crest continued to be used (see below).
Kinning Park was the smallest Burgh in Scotland, if not Britain, occupying a space of only 108 acres. It was, however, the most densely populated burgh with a population of 14,000.
On 7 November 1905, as a result of a ballot of the residents of Kinning Park, the Burgh was annexed to Glasgow. The two sergeants and twelve constables were transferred to the strength of Queen's Park Division, Glasgow Police, and continued to police the area. Superintendent Donald C. Davidson was also taken onto the Glasgow Police strength as a supernumerary Superintendent.
BADGES AND BUTTONS
Here is a selection of the insignia worn by the Kinning Park Burgh Police.