Partick Burgh Police was established in 1858. On 26 July of that year, the Commissioners appointed Paul McColl as Chief Constable. He resigned two years later and, on 10 December 1860, Andrew Edwards was appointed to the post. Chief Constable Edwards remained in office until he retired in January 1892.
The Deputy Chief Constable, Donald McAndrew, was appointed to succeed Andrew Edwards, but the appointment was not confirmed by the Secretary of State for Scotland, as Mr. McAndrew was over 45 years of age. This was the first time that an appointment had been made under the Police Pension Act of 1890, which set out the age limit for such posts. As a result, Mr. McAndrew had to remain as Deputy Chief Constable and William Cameron was appointed to head the force. The Partick Police office was situated in Anderson Street. As well as a Police Office, it also housed the Police Court and cells.
Badges and Insignia
Here is a selection of the insignia worn by the Partick Burgh Police during the Victorian era.
- Helmet Badge c.1870 – Showing Burgh coat-of-arms and Victorian crown.
- Belt Buckle c.1870 – Showing Burgh coat-of-arms.
- Cap badge c.1885 – Worn on forage caps.
- Helmet Badge c.1885 – Replaced the c.1870 design.
- Belt buckle c.1885 – Victorian crown centre.
- Collar Numerals – Incorporating the officer’s personal number.
- Buttons – Incorporating words ‘Partick Police’ and the Burgh coat-of-arms. White metal jacket button and bronze coat button shown.
Around the end of the 19th. Century, following the death of Queen Victoria, Partick Burgh Police adopted the peaked cap and discarded the helmet. The badges were changed to show King Edward’s Crown.
- Cap Badge c.1902 – Edward Crown with Burgh coat-of-arms in centre.
- Epaulette Badge c.1902 – Edward Crown.
William Cameron held the post of Chief Constable until 5 November 1912 when the force, numbering ninety-three officers was annexed to Glasgow Police and became ‘L’ or Partick Division.