Donald McPherson was a native of Avoch, on the Black Isle, and joined the Inverness Burgh Police in 1902 but resigned in 1906 and joined the City of Glasgow Police that same year.
During the First world War, he served in France with the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders. On his return in 1919, he was transferred to the Central Division and was promoted to Inspector in 1920.
In 1923, he was promoted to Lieutenant in the Eastern Division and to Superintendent in 1928. His appointment to Assistant Chief Constable in 1933 was followed by the award to the King’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 1935.
He retired on ill-health ground in 1938.