JAMES ROBERTSON was born and raised in Grangemouth. After schooling, he joined the Merchant Navy where he served for several years. In 1950 he joined The City of Glasgow Police and was posted to the ‘D’ or Southern Division, on beat duties in the Govanhill area. He was later transferred to the Traffic Department and after six years, transferred back to the ‘D’ Southern Division and worked as a Unit Beat Constable in Castlemilk. Later in his service he was attached to the Radar Speed Detection Unit of the Traffic Department.
JAMES STEVENSON joined the City of Glasgow Police on 29 April 1947, after War service. He was posted to the ‘D’ or Southern Division and was on beat duties on a neighbouring beat to James Robertson in Govanhill. Following his injuries sustained in the undernoted incident, James was attached to the Supplies Section where he worked through the ranks, retiring with the rank of Chief Inspector on 8 December 1974.
On 26 October 1951, both constables were on beat duties in Aitkenhead Road near Cathcart Road, when they saw a lorry that had been reported stolen. They attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver ignored their signals. Both constables were then successful in holding onto the vehicle, but Constable Stevenson lost his grip and fell. The vehicle traveled over his legs and he was injured. Constable Robertson was successful in pulling himself onto the lorry, opening the cab door and, after a struggle, managed to overcome the driver and bring the lorry to a stop. The driver was arrested for stealing the vehicle and other Road Traffic offences.
On 6 May, 1952, the bravery of both officers was recognised when each were awarded the British Empire Medal for Gallantry and the Glasgow Corporation Bravery Medal.