Alexander Cameron was a native of Inverness-shire and joined the Argyllshire Constabulary. In 1896 he came to Glasgow and joined the City of Glasgow Police. He was posted to the ‘D’ (Southern) Division.
He was later transferred to the Marine Division and thereafter to the Detective Department at headquarters. In 1913 he was promoted to Detective Inspector and in 1916, he was promoted to Lieutenant.
He was later promoted to the rank of Superintendent in charge of the ‘D’ (Southern) Division and in 1932 he was awarded the King’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service.
He retired from the City of Glasgow Police in 1933.