After serving in the First world War, Superintendent George MacLean joined the City of Glasgow Police in 1919 and was posted to the ‘A’ (Central) Division.
He was promoted to Sergeant in ‘H’ (Maryhill) Division and later to Inspector in ‘B’ (Marine) Division.
He was thereafter promoted to Lieutenant and returned to the ‘A’ (Central) Division and five years later was promoted to Superintendent. In 1953 he was designated Chief Superintendent when the rank structure was re-organised.
In 1954 he was awarded the Queen’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service and retired on 24 February 1954.